There are a bazillion lasagna recipes on the Internet, but even so, this is my favourite: it’s the version my mom makes. Talk about the ultimate comfort food. You can make substitutions and changes to this recipe to suit your tastebuds. Also, this recipe is great to make ahead and freeze and then pop in the oven on the days you don’t have time or don’t want to make supper from scratch.
- 1 kg ground beef
- 1 can of mushrooms or around 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1 box oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 4 green onion bunches, sliced
- 1 jar of pasta sauce of your choice
- Mozza and cheddar cheese, 3 cups each grated
- 1 750 mL container of cottage cheese (I use 1%)
Brown ground beef, onions, and mushrooms.
Add pasta sauce. Rinse jar with small amount of water and add to mixture.
Mix all of cottage cheese and egg in a bowl and stir.
Spray 9”x13” pan (or a roaster works nicely).
Layer meat sauce, noodles, meat sauce, noodles, spinach, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, noodles, mozza cheese.
Cover and cook for 45 minutes at 375° F. Cook an additional 15 minutes if the cheese is not melted.
Serve with garlic bread and caesar salad.